Friday, September 19, 2014

Addition Strategies

Our class has moved forward with three digit addition. Each student has the ability to us a strategy that makes sense to them. Here is our list of strategies:


Before I reviewed and taught the regrouping strategy, we worked very hard on understanding the why behind it. I let students know that as a student myself, I wasn't sure why I was putting that one up there. I just knew my teacher wanted me to and it would get me to the right answer. By using place value blocks and modeling what is happening to these numbers as they are being added, students will have a better understanding of this strategy and be able to apply it down the road. When working with your students on math, please always strive to ask the why questions to promote that stronger number sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment